The overall role of the Mountain Aviation safety department is to foster and maintain the safest level of operations for our clients, employees and the extended aviation community. The continuous process of identifying, analyzing, mitigating or controlling risk and following up on controls, is a team effort, one which interfaces with every department, every manager, and every employee in the company. We accomplish this through a shared commitment to continuous improvement, and by using the Mountain Aviation safety management system which encompasses four basic pillars: policy, risk management, assurance and promotion. The Mountain Aviation Director of Safety reports to the CEO and is responsible for the implementation of the overall Safety Management System and promoting the safety culture. This includes compliance monitoring and working with industry and regulatory auditors on a routine basis. At Mountain Aviation, safety is our primary core value, and our commitment to safety ultimately contributes to the overall success of the entire company, and the satisfaction of our clients.
- Direct and manage the Safety Management System (SMS) throughout the company.
- Maintain robust safety reporting and risk assessment system/database
- Facilitate, collect, review, and analyze, recommend mitigations and implement controls as appropriate, regarding safety incidents.
- Develop and disseminate safety promotional materials
- Manage and improve SMS manuals, policies and procedures
- Develop and facilitate educational SMS materials, including initial and recurrent employee safety training
- Direct Internal Evaluation Program including review of internal procedures, records, and trend analysis, documentation; Identify deficiencies and areas for improvement and assist in developing corrective actions
- Facilitate external audits from clients, regulatory agencies and industry safety accrediting bodies.
- Facilitate and manage company Safety Committee
- Manage the Emergency Response Plan manual, training and execution
- Ensure compliance with applicable rules, regulations including: Federal Regulations, Industry Standards, Client Standards, and company policy and procedures.
- Communicate as appropriate with regulatory representatives and external auditors regarding issues related to safety and quality.
- Identify and facilitate OSHA required training
- Ensure compliance with facility safety requirements and best practices.
- Identify and propose safety initiatives and overall company improvements
- Facilitate ASAP program
- Report to the CEO on all matters of Safety and Compliance
- One or more of the following certifications is required:
- FAA Commercial Pilot certificate
- FAA Airline Transport pilot certificate
- FAA Airframe and Powerplant certificate,
- FAA Aircraft Dispatcher certificate
- Military trained pilot or navigator
- Military trained mechanic
- Ability to independently research and analyze complex situations and problem solve
- Experience managing Aviation Safety Programs
- Ability to apply risk analysis and root cause analysis to situations
- Strong knowledge of aviation operations and maintenance processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and follow through/follow up
- Knowledge of 14 CFR 91, 135 and EASA Regulations
- Knowledge of Argus and ISBAO Safety ratings
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations
Education or Formal Training
- Bachelor’s degree in aviation or a related field of study or 4 years of equivalent aviation experience is required.
- Accredited Aviation Safety training
- Operational experience in a 14CFR Part 121 or 135 air carrier, or Military Aviation experience is preferred
- Three years’ experience in a management role as a Director of Safety, Director of Operations, Director of Maintenance, or other 14CFR Part 119 position or military equivalent is highly desirable.
- Three years of operations, safety, training or risk management experience is highly desirable.
- Experience with Aviation Safety reporting systems such as ASAP, NASA, VDRP process, etc.
Mountain Aviation offers a competitive compensation structure, benefits after 60 days of employment, company paid life insurance and long term disability, and company match on its 401k.
Mountain Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.